Sunday, February 17, 2008

What'd she say??

I've been waiting for this time for so long...well, a good 18, 19 months anyways...when Emma starts to rattle off new words -- or her close variations. She's got a short attention span like her mother (or like any toddler, I guess) and it's hard to get her to concentrate for very long, but when she does, I try to cram in as many new words as possible while practicing the words she already knows. She's got this great word book that has soooo many different words with pictures, but the girl's so smart that she can identify things that I draw out on a piece of paper!

Anyways, I wanted to share a couple of the really cute words that she's recently picked up. I'll write her version of the word next to it...

Of course, there's mama and dada, that's a given. She'll say nana either for her nana (Ryan's mom) or if she wants a banana (which is her addiction lately). She also says Papa (papo). We call our dog, Rocky, "Puppa" so sometimes that's close to Papa...you just have to pay attention to context! And she also has "Poppy" which she'll say sometimes, too. Her Grammy is just a difficult word so far, so we're still working on that!!!!

Thanks to one of her Baby Einstein books, one of the first words she learned was "cheese." She says it pretty good, too...as long as she's not being silly. Now, if you ask her to smile, she says "cheeeese" it's so cute!

She gives a quick wave and a simple "bye" when leaving somewhere. No "buh-bye" for her!

Here are a couple other good ones:

Please = pyaps
Grapes = byapes
Elmo = malmo (words don't start with vowels in her world)
eat = dit, eesh, or sometimes it actually comes out "eat" she's been using that one for a while so she's had time to refine it!
train = shoo shoo (really high pitch and her lips as puckered as puckered gets)
cup = bup
table = baybo
chair = cho
Pooh = bapoobapoobapoo
and when she's thirsty, she does this weird sound with her throat that can best be typed like, "gngngngn" i don't have any idea how that came to mean thirsty or drink, but it does.

She can make the sounds of a cow, monkey, chicken, and somewhat of a donkey, but lately if you ask her, "what does a (any animal) say?" she does a cow...i think it's her way of being funny.

There's a lot more that I'm not thinking of, I'm sure, but for now those are the words I think are super cute! The cutest, however, is when she says "I love you" and since I can't type that, here is a video from earlier today:


1 comment:

Cheyenne and John said...

very cute post Debi! I am always amazed at Mommies and how they are the only ones who can understand baby-talk. Especially with the "I love you" but how precious! One day in a land far far away I too will be part of that exclusive Mommy club!